Together with our community partner, Compass Housing Services, we recently published My Connections Home - Journeys through homelessness, a book exploring the reality of homelessness in the Hunter, which includes nine emotion charged profiles of formerly homeless Hunter residents, told in their own words. Each story details the circumstances that led their narrators into their homelessness, the endless struggles of living without a home, and most importantly the resilience and courage that allowed them to come out the other side. It is a testament to their courage and tenacity – these people who have previously experienced homelessness have been able to rebuild their lives.
The book was launched by His Excellency General The Honourable David Hurley AC DSC (Ret'd), Governor of New South Wales at Hunter TAFE, Hamilton Campus on Wednesday 22nd March 2017.
These stories will move and inspire you as well as raise awareness of how easily homelessness can occur and contribute to a greater understanding of what homelessness is. They will demonstrate that the right help can get people back on track and let them reclaim their place in society. We cannot thank the participants enough for sharing their experiences and we hope that their stories will engender more compassion for people experiencing homelessness.
We would like to thank the following for their financial contribution:
- Compass Housing Services for their sponsorship
- the people of Newcastle who donated through a Chuffed crowdfunding campaign raising $3,310 towards publishing
- Colourpac who provided free design and layout services
- Total Engraving, Raymond Terrace Bowling Club and Hamilton North Public School
We would also like to acknowledge the following:
- four Newcastle photographers, April Werz, Lee Illfield, Gavin Smith and Alex Parkes who generously donated their time and services to capture the beautiful images
- Nicola Hirschorn, Peter Di Girolamo, Jenna Nadiotis at Carrie's Place, Heart of Erin Women's Choir, Neysa King, Maralyn Foureur, Jessica Christie, Natasha Donnelly, Kieran O'Donoghue, Steve Sokulsky,Henry Hirschorn, Jessica Christie, Sally Regan, Katherine Kirwan, Julie Sutton, Megan Hirst, Clare Gunning, Tania Hirschorn, Raphael May, Roxanne Rigg, Michele Sanderson, Susan McGuiness, Marion James, James Magin, Shanthi Ramanthan, George Marjoribanks, Michelle Richards, Helen Marquez.
The book is $25.00 and can be purchased at Maclean's Booksellers at 69 Beaumont Street, Hamilton or via our PayPal facility here:
All proceeds from the book will ensure the ongoing funding of Hunter Homeless Connect Day.